Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Reflection on "Show, Don't Tell"

It was very interesting writing my "Show, Don't Tell" short essay. I found myself really having to reflect on the memory of when I was only about 7-years-old. Even though I was young, I remember this event very distinctly. I suffered my first black-out and got a pretty bad cut (more like road burn) across my entire right cheek. While the memory is forever ingrained in my mind, it still took some extra thought process to actually show and not tell about the experience.

What I found to be most interesting though during this assignment, was that I realized that I remember more than I thought I knew. More specifically, I remembered small details. Such as the way my bike looked and, even more amazingly, the way I felt.

While this memory was traumatic at the time, it was cool to be able to look back on the experience with such clarity after really focusing on the memory. I have not thought about that memory for quite a long time with such detail. It makes me wonder how much of it is actually a true memory or made up by my interpretation of the event.   

No comments:

Post a Comment