Friday, October 6, 2017

Educating our Youth

Frankly, school assignments that require you to visit other places or meet with other people have just annoyed me in the past. I am always too busy and felt like the “extra” work throws a wrench into my usual schedule. However, I am excited about the ethnography assignment that we have been working on. My first visit to the community that I selected is this coming Tuesday, October 10th. The reason for my excitement is that this community, elementary schools (specifically Title I schools), has been on my mind a lot lately. I have been hearing a lot of personal feedback from teachers that work at these schools and I am disheartened to hear about their struggles. It seems like there is a lot of resources that are unavailable to both the staff and the students. The classroom sizes are too large and test scores are more important than really working with the students.

I am sensitive to this subject because education is so important. If we really want a better future for our country, for this world, we need to start with proper education of our youth. If people are not educated on the issues, or made aware of what is really happening, they will be ignorant of the changes that need to be made. I can personally attest to this. I know far too many people who are wonderful people but they are unaware. They don’t know what minorities must struggle with on daily basis because of their ethnicity. They listen to the bickering through the media and have not done empirical research to uncover real facts. Yes, media can deliver the truth but it is swayed by the person who is delivering the message.


Our children can be the change that we are looking for! We need to supply them with the tools that they need to become aware and strong. I hope that education can become a priority in the United States. To me what is more beneficial that knowledge?  

No comments:

Post a Comment